Advent Calendar ~ The Christmas Stocking

I don't think there has ever been a Christmas when I didn't have a Christmas Stocking. It has always been a family tradition. The stockings were always hung on the fireplace in the weeks leading up to Christmas but on Christmas morning they magically ended up under the tree, filled with goodies. This was Santa's doing of course. I had the same stocking throughout my entire childhood. It was made of felt and had Christmas decorations appliqued on it.


When my son was born I realized I needed a stocking for him and it was about time to replace mine as well. I was Christmas shopping one day and I saw a stocking hanging up in a boutique that I fell in love with. It was padded fabric with a hand embroidered, personalized cuff. It was way too expensive so I stared at it until I figured out how it was put together and then I went home and tried to duplicate it. That was 25 years ago and the stockings I made that year are the ones that are still hanging on my fireplace now. Over the next few years I made these same stockings for my brother and sisters, their spouses and all of their children. I have a sewing machine that does embroidery now, so I told my son I would make him a new one. Nope, he doesn't want a new one. He plans on keeping his forever. That stocking has become his 'Family Treasure' which makes his mommy very happy. I can't wait to see what Santa fills them with this year ;-)



© 2010 Kindred Footprints

No comments:

Post a Comment