Genealogy and Serendipity...

I'm going to take a detour from genealogy facts for a moment and tell you about one of those goosebump raising "Genealogy and Serendipity'' moments. I can't believe how many of these I have had over the past few years.

About 3 years ago I was ''surfing'' for anything Irish and came across a site of Irish cultures and traditions and started reading an article called ''Shrovetide - The Marrying Season''. It was written by Bridget Haggerty and posted on the site www.irishcultureandcustoms.com

As I started reading it talked about the match-making season starting the day after Epiphany, January 6th. That stuck out because I got married on January 6th. Then my eyes scrolled over to the picture attached to the article and the goosebumps popped out. The picture on the post is the same picture that was on my Wedding Thank-You cards...and I got married long before I had done any genealogy work or knew anything about my Irish ancestry.


The Wedding Procession by Samuel Luke Fildes

You can read the article here...

PS - I'm still waiting for my husband to surprise me with a framed print of this picture. Wink, wink, hint, hint...

© 2009 Kindred Footprints

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool! I love those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That serendipity is just too cool! I really enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete