Mar 2, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Haynes Family Pioneer Cemetery

Haynes Family Cemetery, St. Catharines, ON, Canada
Adam Haines (Haynes) UEL and Elizabeth Froelick 
 (5th Great Grandparents)

Text from Heritage Plaque:
Haynes Cemetery (ca. 1788-1861)

This family cemetery was once part of the 1784 Crown land grant to the United Empire Loyalist Adam Haines (1747-1814). In 1777 Adam enlisted in the Loyalist cause in Albany County, New York under Col. James Huston. At the end of the American Revolution, Adam crossed over the Niagara River and in August 1784 drew a location ticket for Lots 21 and 22 in Concession VII of Township #3 (later Grantham Township). After building a shack to temporarily shelter his family, Adam returned to New York. In July 1785 he led his wife, Elizabeth, and their seven children across the Niagara River at the Lower Landing (from Lewiston to Queenston).

In 1786 in the family house, 250 metres west of this site, Peter Haynes was the first pioneer child to be born in Grantham Township. The Homestead was the last stop that Thayandagea (Joseph Brant), a Mohawk Indian Chief, would make before crossing the Twelve Mile Creek with delegates from the Six Nations Reserve on thier way to Newark (Niagara on the Lake) to claim their annual treaty money.

In 1796 Adam Haines and his brother-in-law Benjamin Frolick were listed amongst the original 44 contributors to the building of the first local church, the Church of St. Catharines, which was erected a kilometre east of here.

During the War of 1812 both British and American forces commandeered livestock from the Haynes homestead. The horses of the Royal Artillery were pastured here when the regiment was stationed at Twelve Mile Creek. Four of Adam and Elizabeth's sons were active during the War of 1812, serving in the Lincoln Militia. Barnabas, in George Ball's Company, stationed at Fort George, participated in the Battle of Lundy's Lane. Lewis (Lute), a member of Jacob Ball's Company, was present at Fort George in December 1813. John and Adam Jr. served in McEwan's and Lawe's Company. Adam received a gratuity for his services of $30.00 in 1875 and John was awarded 4£ 15s  for damages, presumably for stock and livestock requisitioned from the family homestead, which he then owned.

The homestead descended in the family for four generations. Laura Nixon Haynes, who published five books of poetry, commissioned this 40 tonne pioneer monument west of the cemetery in 1948 after the death of her husband, the former Reeve of Grantham, Fred Haynes. Having no children, in 1952 Laura sold the homestead to Thompson Products. The land was subsequently obtained by the City of St. Catharines.

Erected by the St. Catharines Heritage Committee with the assistance of the Haynes family.

©2010 Kindred Footprints